Archive for July, 2011
The thoughts and prayers of the Texas Progressive Alliance are with the people of Norway as we bring you this week’s roundup.
WCNews at Eye On Williamson posts on the Lt. Gov.’s latest move, Dewhurst announces for Senate, commits to gutting Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security.
A couple of Republican bloggers thought they were breaking news with murmurings of a Texas Senate Demoratic primary challenge by Sylvia Garcia to Mario Gallegos. By the end of the day the senator, the former county commissioner, and their shared political consultant shot the rumor down in flames. PDiddie at Brains and Eggs reminds you why you just shouldn’t believe anything posted on conservative blogs.
Lightseeker takes a shot at connecting some sad dots in Republican Lies, their connection to our looming Doctor Shortage and Corporate Power. It turns out that making public policy by using the repeated Big Lie will come back to bite you in the ass after all.
Neil at Texas Liberal has begun to read Rick Perry’s book Fed Up! Neil is finding this great work to be very enjoyable so far.
At WhosPlayin, Regina responds to all those forwarded emails, and gives a dozen good reasons why she can’t support Rick Perry for President.Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( None so far )
The Texas Progressive Alliance salutes the US Women’s National Team in their quest for the World Cup as it brings you this week’s roundup.
Refinish69 has a Texas Update! We Are In A Severe Drought Situation! ACT LIKE IT STUPID!!!!!>. He also has a message for the young people out there. It Does Get Better.
Lightseeker takes us on a quick tour of the Perry prayer tactic over the last 10 years to make a point: when you discuss his upcoming Prayer Summit, don’t fall into the trap of yelling “church and state”, at least not only and not first. Check it out: Talking Back to Perry’s Prayer Summit.
Bay Area Houston has the scoop on The Groundrules for Rick Perry’s “The Response”.
The Three Stooges — Susan Combs, Todd Staples, and Jerry Patterson — staged an eye-poking, face-slapping, hair-pulling pie fight as the Battle for Texas Lieutenant Governor in 2014 broke out early. PDiddie at Brains and Eggs reports from the front lines.
WCNews at Eye On Williamson tells us that as long as the same people keep showing up to vote nothing is going to change, The electorate must change, before change can come to Texas.
This week on Left of College Station, Teddy returns after taking a hiatus from blogging to take a look at Governor Rick Perry’s far right radical social conservative appointment to the Texas State Board of Education.
Neil at Texas Liberal wrote about two books of New Deal Era Texas art that show Texans working together and respecting the land. This stands in sharp contrast to the current reality of Texas where greed, anger at people who are different, and exploiting public resources with no concern for the future are the order of the day. There are resources out there—in addition to your imagination and hard work—that offer Texans a path to a more hopeful way of everyday living.Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( None so far )
Being gay or lesbian is a wonderful thing. But for those just coming out or to terms with themselves it can be frightening. They have to deal with their own fears, uncertainty and confused emotions.
I know how difficult this can be. I cam out at the age of 15 in a small town in North Carolina. I dealt with hate and even violence but things got better. I found people who loved me for me and excepted me know matter who I loved. As I have gotten older, it has become even more wonderful!!!! It Does Get Better!!!!
If you are a youth trying to deal with these issues, there is help out there. Find a church that is totally divers and totally inclusive. Find a GLBT Youth group, Lambda Legal Youth OUTreach or a PFLAG group who can welcome you with open arms and get you to groups who can help. here is a site that has many links to Gay Youth Organizations. Please find thehelp you need. Know you are loved and it will get better!!!!Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( None so far )
The Texas Progressive Alliance wishes the United States a happy 235th birthday as it brings you this holiday week roundup.
How does “Tommy Lee Jones, United States Senator from Texas” sound? It’s still a possibility, according to the recent news collected by PDiddie at Brains and Eggs.
Neil at Texas Liberal noted that despite all the talk in Texas about how the federal government is bad, the State of Texas is taking disaster aid from Washington to help manage wildfires and drought.Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( None so far )
The majority of Texas is in a drought situation. Everything from severe to extreme. I am stunned that in most areas affected by the drought we are still under voluntary water restrictions. Are we waiting till we have no water???? I ride the buss around town and see people watering their lawns, sprinklers running in graveyards, and watching business hose down their sidewalks. I have only one thing to say to this. WHAT THE FUCK?????
Governor Perry had a state pray for rain day that didn’t do a damn thing about the drought but has he spoken up and asked all counties to go to drastic water conservation plans???? Of course not. It wouldn’t look good for his aspirations to run for President. Have any of the other elected officials demanded strict water conservation? No! They keep waiting for the Water Management Departments in each area to piss off homeowner associations and the general public.
It is time for Texans to take this situation in hand and act like adults. call your mayor, your city council and you water management and ask them to declare stricter water conservation programs. This is necessary for our state!!!!
I have lived through severe droughts not only here in Texas but in North Carolina where I grew up. I will share a few of the things I know about conserving water. Some you have heard before but I bet quite a few will not only be new but shock you just a little.:)
- Stop Washing Your Car!!! Who cares how dirty your car is when we might not have water to drink?
- Stop Watering Your Lawn. I know you love that green lawn that you have to sweat like hell to water and cut but get a fucking grip. Status doesn’t count for crap if you have no water to drink.
- Put a Brick in The Tank of Your Toilet. Your toilet will still flush everything away but the amount of water saved will be significant. If you don’t have a brick, buy one or pick a large stone from your garden.
- Take Shorter Showers. No longer can you afford to stand in a long soaking shower. I love them as much as anyone but reality is reality.Even better, wet yourself down, cut off the water, soap up and clean yourself, and then turn water on to rinse. You can get shower heads with a feature to be able to stop water flow or you can do it straight from the shower controls.
- Stop Using Dishwashers Wash your dishes in the sink. Only fill the water high enough to wash and then rinse all at one time after washing instead of each piece one at a time.
- Only Wash Full Loads of Clothes Washing one or two pieces of clothing because you want to wear it that evening is stupid!!!! Find something else to wear and get over it.
The next suggestions are ones that I have seen used in the past and are great for those with small vegetable and flower gardens, hanging and potted plants outside you don’t want to lose.
- Close the Drain While Showering The water in the tub can be used to water gardens and flowers. Scope it out with pots, pans, or water pitchers. Then take it outside and pour on the plants you are trying to save. Means you might need to give up the antibacterial soaps but you really don’t need them anyway. This goes for folks taking baths as well. Clean is Clean!
- Save The Water From Washing And Rinsing Dishes Here again you need to switch to regular soap instead of antibacterial but how nasty is your kitchen anyway? Scope out the water the same way and water your flowers.
- Check for Leaks Check all faucets and pipes for leaks and repair them.
- Grow a Beard. Budweiser had a campaign going for men not to shave from May 17th through June 5th to save a million gallons of water. Well, I think we need to do it in Texas while this drought is going on. I hate growing a beard because mine is all gray, makes me look older and is hot but to save water, I’m willing. Get an electric shave and use that if you have to shave. I think I will invest in a good one when I can.
This next suggestion is going to sound really gross but it does work. This was one they used at University of North Carolina Chapel Hill back when I was a teenager.
- If It Is Yellow, Let It Mellow. If It Is Brown, Flush It Down sounds gross but it saves water. Also quit using your toilet as a trashcan or ashtray. Flushing the toilet to get rid of tissue when you blow your nose or as an ashtray to put out cigarettes or whatever you are smoking is nuts and wastes lots of water.
This video gives another great idea for saving water.
Pee in the shower!!!!
Remember this is a natural disaster and we have to do our part. This will not be solved by someone else. We have to do out part. Start Conserving Now!!!!!Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( None so far )